Friday, January 17, 2014

Day Seven

We played a Cuarenta tournament for most of the time, followed by free time to play things for everyone who had not made it into the final round. My team was knocked out in the quarterfinals after some very high tension preliminary games. One was at 38 points for both teams for a very long time, and another was won very quickly because our opponents had gotten a Bye, so we got a 10 point headstart.

By the time we finally lost, we were sick of Cuarenta, so we started playing 7 Wonders with a few people who had not yet learned it. It was interesting trying to teach the new players when half of the group had played before and was trying to give advice and the other half kept popping in and out of the game. We got most of the way through before a guest speaker began his presentation.

I was surprised at how many of the games on his list of favorites I had heard of, as well as how many I never knew existed. I am glad we had someone come in and make having a large collection of games sound like something to aspire to. It was also nice to hear about the community that exists here in West Michigan to play board games. I expect I may need to get involved with that once college is over and I need to find willing gamers again.

No comments:

Post a Comment