Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Games in Community

This class has been a wonderful opportunity to try new games and get to know some more of the gamers on campus. I wish Calvin could host a board game night every few weeks like this somehow, maybe by adding on to the collections of games in each dorm and combining them for an event. I hope to have more opportunities to play games in the future at Calvin. Even if I don't I expect to spend time at Game Night at Out of the Box once I have graduated.

I have always been a big gamer, but even I was starting to get gamed out after upwards of 35 different gaming sessions over the course of these past two and a half weeks. I have gained an appreciation for others who get tired after fewer games, because at this point I think I need a little bit of a break from gaming for a while. I have also gotten to experience playing these games with a wide variety of people. I really appreciate how well our class has gotten to know one another through playing games, even when the table talk was kept to a minimum in some instances. I feel like you can learn a lot about someone by playing games with them, and I am glad to have had the chance to get to know so many students I would have never interacted with otherwise.

I also have a greater appreciation for game designers and how difficult it is to come up with something novel enough to be interesting, but not too complicated to play. It is a fine line between adding rules to make the game work and having so many that no one ever wants to learn. This is part of the reason that this class was so enjoyable, I think I cracked open the rules on maybe one tenth of the games I played, otherwise I was just listening to a classmate describe the game to me and playing without the tedious entire book of directions to listen through first.

I am so glad I was able to take this class this interim. It is my last interim, so I was happy to have it be so enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment