Thursday, January 9, 2014

Games & Community

This January I will be 1 of 40 students participating in a class focused on gaming, both board games and card games (and some other types of games, like dice games thrown in there for good measure).

I am looking forward to the class for several reasons: I will get to play a lot of my favorite games (and even teach one of them), I will get to learn new games that I haven't played before, and I will get to design a brand new game as part of a team (no big, brilliant ideas yet, unfortunately). I am excited for the chance to get college credit for doing something I wish I had more time to do in college anyway: play games!

The people in class come from a wide variety of gaming backgrounds, and backgrounds in general. While I know several of the other students, and have met even more in passing, the point of the class is to grow a community of gamers with the skills to gracefully host others in friendly competition. Gaming is an activity the appeals to many people and makes it easy to get a group enjoying something together. I hope to invite some of my friends who did not make it into the class over to enjoy some of the new games I learn over interim.

This is going to be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment